Although its wonders have only recently been rediscovered, aloe vera has been known as a powerful healing plant for many centuries. In fact, the Ancient Egyptians held it so highly that they considered it to be the “Plant of Immortality” and Cleopatra regarded it as her beauty secret. We can surely relate to Cleopatra’s deep love for aloe. In fact, our love for aloe vera inspired us to make it one of the primary active ingredients in our award-winning scar cream. Here are the top 8 reasons we love aloe:
1. Aloe is a nutrient-rich Super food: Aloe contains over 75 different vitamins, minerals, enzymes, amino acids and phenols. In addition aloe contains salicylic acid, which is a natural anti-inflammatory agent that also helps to unclog pores. To top it all off, aloe boasts sky-high levels of vitamin C, which helps promote circulation and is essential to the health of the adrenal glands.
2. Aloe helps prevent and treat acne. Aloe contains Auxin and Gibberellins, 2 hormones that have powerful anti-inflammatory and wound-healing properties (goodbye red and inflamed skin). In addition, aloe is a natural antibacterial and when used on acne it prevents bacteria from infecting wounds and helps accelerate healing. As far as prevention goes, the astringent quality of aloe helps remove excess dirt form the skin, which helps keep skin clean and breakout-proof. In Auyervedic Medicine, Aloe is also used to treat other skin conditions including eczema and psoriasis.
3. Aloe helps prevent scarring and stretch marks. Gibberellin, one of the hormones contained in aloe vera gel, is very effective at stimulating the growth of new cells. This accelerates the skins healing process and helps minimize scarring. Aloe can also helps minimize stretch marks, which are typically caused by pregnancy or rapid weight gain/loss. Your skin has an elastic quality and naturally expands and contracts to accommodate growth. If the skin stretches too much, too fast then the elasticity of the skin can become damaged leading to the formation of stretch marks. Aloe vera gel can help eliminate stretch marks by healing these wounds.
4. Aloe is a nature’s laxative. When taken internally, aloe vera aids in digestion and cleanses the digestive system. Aloe also helps naturally detoxify the body, which in turn improves elimination.
5. Aloe helps lower blood sugar levels. The dried gel of aloe vera is used to treat diabetes. It helps lower blood sugar levels by decreasing insulin resistance and also lowers the triglyceride levels in the liver and plasma.
6. Improves skin firmness. Aloe vera is chock full of anti-oxidants like beta-carotene, vitamin C and Vitamin E, which help increase the natural firmness of skin. Aloe vera is also great at helping skin stay hydrated and improving the skin’s elasticity, therefore minimizing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. The result? Vibrant, healthy and young looking skin!
7. Aloe cleanses toxins from the body. A clean internal environment is essential to healthy and clear skin. When your internal environment is filled with “gunk”, your body will naturally detoxify these toxic particles through your largest organ of elimination- your skin. Sometimes your body can attempt to detoxify too much, too fast and that can lead to skin eruptions and breakouts. The best way to prevent this from happening to limit your exposure to toxins (i.e. Eat clean and use clean skin-care and cleaning products) and to help support your body in flushing out these toxins. Aloe can help with the latter.
8. Aloe promotes healthier skin. Aloe helps remove dead skin cells and contains properties that stimulate skin regeneration. This process of replacing old skin cells with fresh ones, gives skin a healthy and radiant glow.